What runes are above the curve?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davre, Dec 29, 2017.

1. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

i would say warding is extremely neutral in IS because it denies them access to the plethora of self target spells that IS has. But is still a fantastic defensive ability as well.

2. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

Yeh I feel like in general warding should be 0 to 5 nora, as it affects you and your opponent equally.

3. themacca

thats why it costs 2

4. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

maybe + 3-4 because sure it affects both but you know it when you build the bg so you can work around it, opponent has to adapt during match

newsbuff, Alakhami and Fentum like this.
  5. PoxBot

PoxBot The King of Potatoes

I chose particularly cancerous things in every faction and then just sort of elaborated on them. Just gonna leave names and type the rest later. Ignore runner ups; they're just rants.

FS:
    1. Psychic Anguish units

I don't know how much that ability is worth, but it can't be enough. Psychic already outshines poison and has auras, spells, amp plus sabotage to augment its pings. Chillshard just makes it worse with the pinging damage stuff. Moreover, the Agony/Anguish combo globally ensnares, soultaps and confuses EVERYTHING you have on the board.

2. Firk Mindcaller (Downvote Mucker because come on, it's a Ponderous 5 SPD unit ffs)
    Creativity just enables spellspam and with strong sub 40 nora spells like Marsh Song, Psychic Blast, Reckless Command, Cleansing Mist and Bubble of Protection, FS turns all that excess nora into lategame boardwipes or turn to turn spell enabled kills.

Runner up: Ranged Slam units which are basically cancer everywhere so it's not worth mentioning Augur and Firk buttblaster or whatever it's called.

FW:
    1. Xulos

Dark Favor and Vitality Creation are already hyper efficient abilities and those 2 alone could make a blank champ playable by themselves, but then he goes a couple steps beyond by creating incredibly unfair HP swings on the board with Death Pact and Drain, which allow him to siphon a fixed amount of 12 HP off of anything regardless of their current HP(so a 1 HP summon is still a 12 heal for him). Death Pact works the same in that a 1 HP Xulos can just Death Pact a 60 HP unit for 30 and die, allowing him to pretty much always have huge impact on the game. I think that if it was possible, 90% of all BGs would just run Xulos. I don't know if that's a bug or intended to just be titled toward the user.

2. Elzari Bazaar (Downvote Lamia because she's purely good due to Bazaar and even then she's questionable)
    Shrine HP as an APgen resource buffed this rune beyond reasonable levels. The whole point of Exertion's HP loss drawback has very good synergy with range and Life Siphon units. Also, it gives you 2 nora back for each summoned Plague Trap from Bag of Filth for some reason.

Runner up: Skull of Decay because it nearly shuts down healing for 20 nora and stacks with a second one or Dark Healing.

Ironfist Stronghold
    1. Bastion the Pile of free stats

Escalating Rage and Stone Clan both cheat by giving him a truckload of stats and AP for discount when I suspect it already has a secret discount just for being a hero. It's just one of those dumb heroes like Xulos that make 90% of all decks better with minimal effort. You just deploy it, wait around and then he starts running around with effectively Shielded/5 DEF and 15-20 DMG with 1-2 range to bypass all sorts of defensively abilities just in case you had some way to stall him.

2. Pureblood Plainswalker (Downvote Zedin)
    He has a check on stat cheating by gaining free SPD off of support units like Carrier squire, self buffing his damage easily and bypassing most defensive skills with his roided out Shrive/Dispelling Blows ability.

Runner up: Ironfist Minister but I have a hunch that he's just good due to Drum being undercosted(see: DB).

KF:
    1. Nectar Fairy

2. Snake Charmer (downvote Lerper)

Runner up: Inhibit Power: This rune is a joke. Like, it was already a kick in the nuts that all the distract and confuse from SP was systematically gutted while runes like Instill Panic exist but with Shimmering Flower, Crown of Petals and this thing, KF has somehow become the king of spot distract and confuse now. The ability to spot confuse something is utilized to negate entire niches like getting rid of Arrow Eater and Intimidating as well as other powerful role enablers. Traditionally, this was done with State of Confusion(35) or the Confuse ability through positioning or some equipment to do it right there and there. This spell allows you to do it on multiple units for a comparable price and also distract them on top of that. Like uwom8

SL:
    1. Dunes Manticore

This champion is pure cancer just based on the fact that it aoe debuffs your stuff, heals you, makes your nasty staple aoe debuffers 10 nora cheaper and 1v1s almost anything in the game thanks to the brilliant gaze/psy attack combo. It does way too many things for 60~ nora and is easily one of the top champs in the game right now.

2. The Bonus
    Old bonus was just basic attacks. New bonus is anything that comes from champs, making it a pseudo Tough 1/2. This primarily hurts auras, damage shields, bombs and other junk poke SL already shrugged off with Regen. With the changes to damage scaling and Regen buffs, this makes SL come out on top of most skirmishes and forces you to engage them or lose on the long run.

Runner up: Skeezick Whorl just because it cheats stats with Opportunistic and has double melee hate with healing counters just in case you wanted to send a healer melee to try and counter the 4 space knockback every turn it forces you to go through.

SP:
    1. Whirling Quarry

2. Cyclopean Firecase (Downvote Ritualist since he'll go from 5+ roles to 3 after ritual nerf, probably still cancer tho)

Runner up:

ST:
    1. Strig Warloc

2. Frostfall Vanguard (Downvote Icefang since he's getting nerfed in 2-3 areas)

Runner up: Chilling Scale

UD:
    1. Chosen of Osarius

2. Ruby Crawler (downvote Pincushion because l2p noobs)

Runner up: Maxx's dumb ability that lets it stack infinite deflects when Divert was nerfed for the same thing and.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    newsbuff and Tweek516 like this.
  6. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

I probably agree on every rune you mentioned to a certain extent but I really don't understand how Ruby Crawler could be considered cancerous.

7. themacca

mirrored + aura +healing through acolyte

8. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

DMR doesn't like healing.

9. Alakhami

i know its set of abilities. i just don't understand how it could be deemed problematic. it's squishy and fairly easy to deal with due to how straight forward it is.

10. themacca

50% resistance to all elemental damage types in a meta where people go, EWW PHYSICAL DAMAGE when judging if a champ is good or not, & if you dont have something to deal with it it's a right pain in the ass

11. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

FS - Stillwater Mutant : What Macca said.

FW - Skeletal Lerper and Bone Circle Archmage : I don't think BCA is as good as people make out but a 3-5 nora sandbag might be appropriate.
    Downvote Xulos : For his cost I think he is fine.

IS - Terraformer

KF - Elven Strategist

SL - Primordial Enigma and Aspect of Violence
    Downvote Valdaci Shieldwarden - Always seemed well balanced for his cost to me

SP - Whirling Quarry

ST - K'ento : Way too cheap for a champion that has so much impact on a game.

UD - Pincushion

Really good idea doing this btw.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  12. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

i always dream of a website that lets us comment on and upvote/downvote runes overall as well as rate various criteria of runes - i.e, playability [meta], fun, art. i looked into building one on the excellent open source thronesdb platform which is used for netrunner and game of thrones LCGs, but got busy.

MrCharles likes this.
  13. Alakhami

eh, you gotta have physical dmg. people just need to be able to adapt.

14. PoxBot

PoxBot The King of Potatoes

It's basically UD's Extinguisher as in a hyper acolyte duelist unit that also happens to amp and sabotage. You could make a Ruby Crawler or Extinguisher out of any damage type and he'd be god tier.

15. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

I always pack plenty of physical damage so never had a problem with RC myself but I've watched games where it carried the UD player solo, I think Aspect of Infinity is probably more annoying though as it's often kept at the back and some factions like FW have very few ranged physical attackers.

16. Alakhami

But... he's not. As I said, he can be fairly incosistent and vs. the right player he's relatively easy to play against. Extinguisher, on the other hand, is always a problem as soon as he gets deployed.

17. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

When you guys finnally solve perfect balance in pox you should start on finding a way to have world peace

How many years could it take before people come to terms with the fact that pox is an imbalanced system, it's been over 10 and nothings changed yet.

At this point the over effort on balance has in short sucked the fun out of pox but that could just be for me. I used to look at an expansion and patch notes and see tons of possibilities and combos and new themes and options. Even splits since somebody usually gets something fun looking

Now i just see a patch and wonder...what can't i use anymore?Is anything in here new? Well i guess i'll play that other deck i played before...admittedly it's why i take breaks from pox for long periods, but I used to check out expansions and patches and get pumped for returning.

But ya...nerf 8 runes or something...bet it'll fix everything.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  18. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

guys, if you want to play with completely balanced armies, go play chess. (nerf the rook btw).
    in a deckbuilding games, its obvious that there are some cards/runes with an advantage in terms of stats/versatility/etc...
    Pox right now is in a pretty nice balance situation. I mean, there are TONS of viable bgs. and even the less "strong" ones, are completely playable even at high level. You can obtain almost anything easily ( no pay to win, as it was back in the day), and people also like to experiment new stuff most of the times , so it isnt rare to play vs interesting and different stuff. Balance isn't one of the big problems of Poxnora, at the moment. Bug fixes, getting out a tournament/draft mode, and getting in condition to release at least 2 expansions each year, are the priorities

Woffleet, attio26 and Fentum like this.
  19. Karamasov

Karamasov Lord of SL & Master of Challenges

Pox can never reach perfect balance, but that doesn't mean we should stop trying to improve it. I think this stale period is a great time to look into the balance, since a lot of different decks have been played while not too many new runes have come out. Mind you there are still outliers and that's why I like threads like these.

A shame Sok don't have the resources to patch more often to go along with the "soft" nerfs and buffs. I think he's been doing a really good job to make way more runes and decks playable.

20. RoachKing

RoachKing The King of Potatoes

[QUOTE="calisk, post: 401993, member: 605"

How many years could it take before people come to terms with the fact that pox is an imbalanced system, it's been over 10 and nothings changed yet.

At this point the over effort on balance has in short sucked the fun out of pox but that could just be for me. I used to look at an expansion and patch notes and see tons of possibilities and combos and new themes and options. Even splits since somebody usually gets something fun looking

QUOTE]

^ this, it's not just you bro. I look at my sp bgs and can't really find any fun combos to use anymore cus EVERTHING gets nerfed. And I'm sure every faction has some combos completely ruined or eliminated. It really is annoying tbh